Sunday, January 9, 2011

The trip begins

I woke up at 3:30 AM after going to bed at 1. I got to the airport and found my ILP friends. We got in line, many looked worried and anxious but were trying to cover it up with an obvious sense of "I'm okay, I do this all the time." None of us really knew what to expect or how this adventure would end. I have traveled before out of country so I had an idea but still, I was slightly apprehensive and worried. I don't know any of these people and I am the only male! Granted, this is usually how my life is. I seem to be involved in activities that are generally overrun by the female persuasion of life. Not to worry, I later found out that one of the girls had to drop out because of health reasons, and a boy would be coming to take her place. I only have to survive 1 week alone amongst a sea of estrogen.

As I get in the security line, finding out that my bags weigh exactly 50 lbs and 40 lbs (that's right, I used to throw luggage for a living, I know how to pack), I find out that one of the girls that I am traveling with has never been on a plane. Never been on a plane and the first plane ride she takes is out of the country, and to a destination thousands of miles away. I had a similar experience when I went to Spain. One of the girls (again a trip where the amount of testosterone was a drop in a bucket compared to the female hormones) was also on her first airplane ride. It was cool because the security let her dad come and say goodbye at the gate inside security. I met both of them in Salt Lake and assured them that I would take care of her on the ride to Europe. Turns out I didn't need to. She was upgraded to first class the whole way. On this trip, however, my friend was not upgraded and unaccompanied by anyone. She went through all the security very well, I shared my tricks on how to get through quickly and we arrived at the gate, no crazy random inspections, and having gone through the new, full-body scan (which isn't a big deal everyone, I think it is cool).

After a short stop in L.A (because of many minuets of delay in SLC) we were on a 4 hour ride to The City of México. We arrived and met our program director after everyone picked up their luggage from the carousel (strangely enough, EVERYONE got all their luggage! I was for sure that I would have a repeat of a 6 day delay on my bags like what happened to me in Spain). We all got some money out of the bank and then jumped on a bus, which thankfully gave us a bottle of water and cookies, which would take us to Puebla. It was 2:00 in the after noon. I am currently listening to The Cassandra compact by Robert Ludlum so this is how I occupied my time. Others watched a movie dubbed in Spanish and still others used the internet, which strangely enough was available via WiFi on the motor coach. We arrived in Puebla at 5:40 and waited until 7 to take our last bus to Tehuacán. Again, I listened to my book.

The drivers in México are very good. They can pass at any point on the road and dodge anything that comes their way. This was demonstrated as, all of a sudden I hear nervous giggles and half screams from the girls around me. I look up and we are passing another coach on a very sharp curve. I look to the on-coming traffic and see that there was another vehicle doing the same thing just yards in front of us. I smiled and closed my eyes as I went back to my book. I figured it wasn't my time to meet Peter quite yet, and I have had experience with bus drivers in the past.

We arrived at the bus station and were taken to our school. My family was waiting for me, a boy and a girl (twins), and my mom for my stay. I was warned by my director that I can't speak Spanish to them because these families are also volunteers. They let us stay with them for free and usually do it so they can get more English in the home. I was a little disappointed by this but at the offer of delicious Mexican food, I couldn't resist.

I got to the house and found out that the boy has given up his room for 4 months. He will be sleeping on the couch. The family is awesome and very welcoming. They let me make salsa, clean my room and do my laundry. I still feel independent but not completely overwhelmed.

No comments: